What it Takes to Start Your Own Self-serve Frozen Yogurt Business
Hello my lovely readers!
Do you want to start your own froyo business? Here’s another post with some advice and tips on how to get started!
One of the biggest obstacles of jumping into this business is probably start-up cash. It costs less to open a basic ice cream parlor than it does one of these yogurt stores. To do it right, a self serve yogurt shop requires a much greater amount of start up capital than a typical ice cream parlor. A self serve frozen yogurt store is not easy to get into on a shoe string budget. It can done for less than the $300-$400k the franchises tell you is necessary, but again, it’s going to be a substantial investment. If you are trying to do it on a shoe string budget, you can definitely go with used machines to try to keep your costs down. The challenge is finding uniformity in used machines. Finding 4 to 8 used machines in good condition, that are appropriate for the self serve concept (be careful what you buy – don’t make the mistake of buying the wrong machines).
When a customer first walks in to the store, it is critical that they see “hip décor”and the place screams new and fresh.
The hip self serve frozen yogurt concept is simple:
- Between 8 and 16 flavors of low fat, non-fat and tart frozen yogurt flavors
- A variety of berry and exotic real fresh-cut fruit toppings in addition to cerealand cookies and other candy toppings
- Curvy counter and furniture; accented with colorful hip floors and wall coverings
- Plasma TV’s showing something “cool” like music videos
- Plasma TV’s above the counter with an animated menu
- Customers grab a big cup, pick their favorite flavors and toppings and create their very own dessert masterpiece. Then they walk up to the register, put the cup on the scale, and swipe their card. This customer control of the process is key to making it fun. It also keeps the line moving fast and reduces labor costs.
This is just some basic beginning advice for opening your own self-serve froyo business. For more detailed information, comment and we can discuss further over email! Below is a link to TurnKeyParlor.com’s Soft Serve Frozen Yogurt Business Guide. It’s free and an extremely helpful tool if you’re interested in opening your own frozen yogurt store.
Peace, love, & Froyo.